From: Juergen Rendtel (jrendtel_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 11/08/1996

Bright diffuse atmospheric phenomenon at night

When turning on the fireball patrol camera this morning (1996 Nov 8) I observed an unusual bright diffuse light high in the sky (almost overhead). While it was overcast most of the night, I found that the clouds started to disappear at 03:50 MET (02:50 UT). However, there were slowly moving cirrus clouds as well as a few fast moving cumulus clouds.
At 03:55 I was about to open the shutter of the camera, and I saw
`something diffuse' near zenith, i.e. north of Gemini. At a first
glance it appeared like the moon shining through thick cirrus or so. (In fact, the moon was still below horizon.) I estimate the total brightness of the phenomenon as -1...-2 mag, while I was able to see stars up to +3/+4 with the naked eye. The object was elongated (about 1 deg wide, 6-7 deg long), showed no motion, and even in a 10x50 binocular there was no structure to be seen. I took a few photos between 04:02 MET and 04:14 MET. After 04:10 the brightness decreased remarkably, and (also due to thicker cirrus again) it disappeared after 04:15 MET. There was a little `knot-like' structure around 04:12 visible in the binocular.
The position was near RA=100 deg, Decl=+40 deg, i.e. elevation 80 deg, azimuth 15 deg (az. counted from S=0 deg).

I observed a similar phenomenon on 1987 Dec 21, 20:15 MET, and I checked my log book for this entry. Here are some comparisons:

Date                1996 Nov 8                1987 Dec 21
Time                03:55 - 04:15 MET         20:15 - 20:35 MET
Position (elev.)    80 deg                    85 deg
Size                1 deg x 7 deg             1 deg x 5 deg
Brightness when
        first seen  -1/-2 mag                 +1 mag
Remarks             gradually fading          gradually fading
                    position `fixed'          position `fixed'
                    `knots' after some time   no structure (visually +
phot.)
                    photographed (not yet     2 photos of the fireball
patrol
                                  processed)          camera

After the 1987 observation I first thought it was a persistent meteor train.
But because of the remarkable stability of the shape and the duration I was
very sceptical. Unfortunately, this was observed when the cloud cover just started to break, so no photo of the fireball patrol camera from the period
prior to the observation is available. This is the same in the new case. There
is one difference: the appearance of the knot-like structure for some minutes.
So, was this a persistent train of a fireball? Other ideas? Accidentially (?)
both phenomena appeared close to the zenith - indicating a terrestrial origin?

I am afraid there are no corresponding observations since the conditions were
quite poor for astro-observers, and accidential eye-witnesses are unlikely seen the time.

In the literature I found one old note which possibly refers to a similar observation (I have to check the source, but it was in
`Astronomische Nachrichten').

Juergen Rendtel