From: Jarmo Moilanen (jarmom_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 11/09/1996

>Hi, Juergen. I'm sure others on the list will have better ideas, but...
Except
>for the fast that you observed the phenomenon at the zenith, it sounds
>remarkably like a high-atmosphere release test... These are done
infrequently to
>test high-altitude airmass characteristics (I think?), and appear as
bright,
>relatively fixed luminous spheres (or oblongs, where hialt winds are
high).
>Should have occurred closer to the horizon, though, unless you're VERY
close to
>air base where you observe. I'd be interested to hear other ideas, too!
>
>Clear skies,
>Lew

Very interesting idea. I can think couple of "natural" explanations for Juergen's observations.

First. Very often when there is fog or rain I can see a high and narrow light pillar arising from horizont in a certain direction from my home. There is a building which is lit by powerfull floodlights. One of those lights gives that strong light pillar. When this fog is in higher altitude I
can see only a part of that pillar. It might be so that there is a strong floodlight near your observation place Juergen. And what you have seen is "light beam" from that floodlight. There is maybe fog in the air. Because in
your other observation the phenomenon was in lower elevation then that fog (or cloud) layer was lower. Was both observations from the same place and was both phenomenon located in the same place on the sky?

Second. If that light pillar is exactly vertical then it can be a halo from
artificial lightsource. There is a ice crystal layer which reflected light from some floodlight. If this ice crystal layer is very thin and crystals are well oriented, you may see more like a spot than a pillar. That spot is
exactly above light source. This explanation needs low temperatures for ice
crystals (below 0C).

I don't think that this second explanation is what you saw Juergen. You should check if there is bright floodlight in direction of that "light beam"
you saw.

Maybe the explanation is something else...

Have a good fireball hunting... (Back in 1981 I saw one which was brighter than full moon)
Jarmo