From: Jun Lao (antares_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/09/1996

Not being able to appreciate nacreous clouds or NLCs here in the tropics, I'd
like to inquire about highly colored dusk skies. About once or twice in a year, I'd get to see a highly colored late afternoon sky here in Manila, when
the sky would be all yellow or peach or salmon in color, and quite intense at
that.

Normally, you'd get to see various shades of blue or gray as dusk nears, but there are those special times which call attention to themselves because
of the coloration. Normally these would occur during May to July, when the rainy season would start to come in, and when thunderstorms in the late afternoon or early evening would be the norm.

Anyone ever experience such awesome displays when the whole sky is one big blanket of yellow, salmon, or peach? What causes these (or it goes around the question of "Why is the sky blue?")?

Jun

<        Jun Lao, Editor, the Appulse       >
<    The Philippine Astronomical Society    >
< Bringing the Heavens Down to the Filipino >