From: Brian Skiff (bas_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/10/1996

     The very dark sunglasses Chris Luginbuhl refers to my wearing are a pair of "glacier glasses" with a presciption (-8.5 diopters). I asked the optical dispensers to dye the lenses to 5% transmission; the substrate is advertised to be opaque or nearly so in the near-UV and IR. Judging by the
result, they seem to have made them at least that dark. Look in backpacking
or ski catalogues to see similar-looking sunglasses intended for high-altitude
snow/ice conditions---never available with any correction in them as far as
I can tell. As with most such glasses, mine have little leatherette side flaps to block glare, which are quite necessary with these. The fancy wrap-around style of sunglasses would probably work as well for those wearing
contact lenses or with sharp vision; however, their expense is mostly a matter
of fashion rather than functionality.

     I find the very dark lenses indispensible in viewing near-Sun atmospheric phenomena.

\Brian Skiff (bas_at_lowell.edu)