From: =^.^= (bparks_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/10/1996

At 12:17 PM 7/9/96 +0800, Jun wrote:

>Anyone ever experience such awesome displays when the whole sky is one
>big blanket of yellow, salmon, or peach? What causes these (or it goes
>around the question of "Why is the sky blue?")?

Yes! During our rainy season here in Arizona I've often seen the sky a blanket of dark yellow, and sometimes the salmon or peach color. Usually, as
you said, in the late afternoon shortly before sunset, when dark thunderstorms are in the area. The effect makes the details of everything--trees, mountains, buildings--stand out so intensely!

In fact, I saw almost that effect yesterday. We were driving home from Phoenix on Interstate 10. The sun was low in the sky over our right shoulder
and there was a thunder and lightening storm several miles in front of us. The background of the horizon was dark purple and there was a long, flat, horizontal white cloud kind of at the "front" of this storm. This white cloud resembled a giant toboggan in the sky. Also, rain that was falling closer to us (yet still quite distant) appeared white against the dark horizon! And to top it all off, to my left there was a rainbow. It disappeared as it got overhead, then reappeared dimly to my right (near where the white rain was falling).

If you're wondering where the blanket of yellow came in--well it wasn't really the sky that was yellow, but there was a distinct yellow cast to everything on the ground. Everything seemed to stand out in stark detail. I
need to start keeping a camera in the car, I think. <G>

Ciao!
Bev =^.^= bparks_at_primenet.com
http://www.primenet.com/~bparks/
(Revised 7/6/96--Pet links activated, plus new Arizona link)