From: Paul Schlyter (pausch_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/05/1996

> I've been enjoying the discussions of sundogs, halos, and pearlescent
and
> irridescent clouds. What beautiful descriptions! I've also read some
things
> I don't understand, such as "tropopause".

Oor atmosphere can be divided in several "spheres", and the top of each "sphere" is called a "pause". We have:

Troposphere 0 to 6-18 km Temperature decreases with altitude

Stratosphere 6-18 to ca 50 km Temperature constant or increasing

                                  with altitude

Mesosphere     ca 50 to ca 80 km  Temperature decreasing with altitude

Termosphere 80 km and above Temperature increasing with altitude

The tropopause is the top of the troposphere, at 6-18 km altitude. This altitude is latitude dependent -- it's lowest at the poles and highest in the tropics.

The stratopause is the top of the statosphere, at ca 50 km altitude.

The mesopause is the top of the troposphere, at ca 80 km altitude.

The reason these "spheres" do exist are the heat sources in our atmosphere:

  1. The ground absorps solar radiation, is heated, and will heat up the troposphere from below. Within the troposphere all phenomena we call "weather" happens. With a few exceptions, all our clouds are tropospheric clouds (the exceptions are nacreous clouds which occur in the lower stratosphere, and the noctilucent clouds which occur close to the mesopause).
  2. The ozone layer absorbs UV solar radiation, and this causes a maximum heating at about 50 km altitude -- that's why we have a temperature maximum there. If our atmosphere had no ozone, it would also have no stratosphere or mesosphere -- instead the termosphere would start immediately above the tropopause. This is the situation in the atmospheres of Venus and Mars: in both these atmospheres the tropopause is much higher, at about 60-90 km altitude, and the thermosphere starts immediately above the tropopause.
  3. The thermosphere is heated from above, by absorbing extreme UV radiation and charged particles from the Sun. This part of the atmosphere becomes very hot, ca 1000 to 2000 degrees, depending on solar activity. Above ca 200 km there is little variation in temperature with altitude - here the thermosphere is essentially isothermal. There is no well-defined "thermopause", instead above ca 800 to 1000 km altitude the thermosphere merges into the magnetosphere, and then into interplanetary space.

Paul Schlyter, Swedish Amateur Astronomer's Society (SAAF) Grev Turegatan 40, S-114 38 Stockholm, SWEDEN e-mail: pausch_at_saaf.se psr_at_home.ausys.se