From: Paul Schlyter (pausch_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/07/1996

> Thanks for the explanation, Paul! So the "pauses" are the transition
areas
> between the "spheres" where the chemical composition of the lower sphere
is
> changing into that of the upper sphere. Do I have that right?

No -- there is no sudden change in chemical composition at either pause except at the homopause. Yep -- another "pause", and we also have the "neutropause".....

If we use temperature as an indicator, we get these "spheres" and "pauses":

Troposphere

              Tropopause, 6-18 km
Stratosphere

              Stratopause, ca 50 km
Mesosphere

              Mesopause, ca 80 km
Thermosphere

If we instead use chemical composition, we get:

Homosphere

              Homopause, ca 120 km
Heterosphere

In the homosphere the chemical composition of dry air changes very little. The amount of water vapor changer a lot of course, but that's all. When we enter the heterosphere the chemical composition begin tyo change, first a little and then drastically: the UV radiation will first split up oxygen (O2) molecules into atomic oxygen (O). Also the mean free path (= the mean distance travelled by a molecule/atom between collisions with other molecules) becomes very large. THis means that gases no longer mix but start to behave as if they were independent of each other. This causes the density of heavier molecules to drop off more rapidly than the density of lighter molecules, which means that at higher altitudes the atmosphere will contain more of these lighter molecules: first the helium (He) density will become dominant at perhaps 200 km altitude, and still higher, at 300-400 km, the very thin atmosphere we have there will consist almost purely of atomic hydrogen (H) !!!

Finally we can use ionization as an indicator, then we get:

Neutrosphere

              Neutropause, 50-90 km
Ionosphere

The altitude of the neutropause varies a lot and is dependent on latitude, season, time-of-day, and solar activity. Occasionally, during severe solar activity, the ionosphere may penetrate down to about 30 km altitude.

> Of course if that is true, then what about the ozone layer? Is the ozone
> actually part of the tropopause?

No. Ozone is a minor constituent, and our atmopshere never contains more than a fraction of a percent ozone. The reason ozone is so important is (in the stratosphere) because it absorbs solar UV radiation so strongly, and (in the troposphere) because ozone very easily reacts with other chemical compounds. Like all minor constituents, the amount of ozone varies strongly all through the atmosphere.

> Are nacreous clouds and noctilucent clouds ever visible to us on the
> ground?

YES!!!! In July and August noctilucent clouds are commonly visible, usually at least several times per summer, sometimes much more. Nacreous clouds are more rare, but they are visible from the ground too.

Paul Schlyter, Swedish Amateur Astronomer's Society (SAAF) Grev Turegatan 40, S-114 38 Stockholm, SWEDEN e-mail: pausch_at_saaf.se psr_at_home.ausys.se