From: Mark Vornhusen (mavornhusen_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 01/28/1999

The Revelation of John - A complex Halo Phenomenon by Mark Vornhusen
Some weeks ago I found out, that the revelation of John is based on a complex halo phenomenon. John saw his vision in the year 95 a.D. on the island Patmos. I think he descirbes a halo phomemenon that starts in the morning and ends with sunset.

I wrote a long abstract about my theory and published it on our webpage ( http://members.tripod.com/~regenbogen/halo_so/johannes.htm ) . So far this text is only available in German language. Here I give you a very short overview about the halos corresponding to his visions:

Rev. I, 7: "Behold, he is coming with the clouds!"= With high clouds halos are coming

Rev. I, 13-20

  • seven standing lamps= 120 deg parhelia, Liljequists parhelia, antihelion
  • son of man, robed down to his feet with white as snow-white wool hair= 22 deg halo
  • golden girdle round his breast= parhelic circle inside the 22 deg halo
  • eyes like flamed fire= parhelia to the 22 deg halo
  • feet gleamed like burnished brass refined in furance= lower tangent arc
  • sharp two-edged sword out of his mouth= upper sun pillar

Rev. IV,3-6

  • throne= upper tangent arc (sun elevation approx. 20 deg)
  • the one who seats on the throne looking like jasper and cornelian= Parry arc
  • rainbow around the throne= supralateral arc or circumzenith arc (translation in the German Bible: rainbow above the throne)
  • sea of glass, like sheet of ice in front of the throne= bright area between Parry arc and upper tangent arc

Rev. V, 6

  • Lamb = upper tangent arc (horn), 22 deg halo (head) and parhelia (eyes)

Rev. VI, 9

  • altar= upper tangent arc (sun elevation now 40 deg, colour of the altar is red, see Rev VIII,5: "the angle took fire from the altar)
  • souls of those who had been slaughtered underneath the altar= lower tangent arc

Rev. XII, 1-14

  • woman robed with the sun and on her head a crown of twelve stars= 22deg halo and a half of the parhelic circle with 120 deg parhelia and antihelion (sun elevation 50 deg)
  • she was pregnant, and in the anguish of her labour she cried out to be delivered= complete circumscribed halo (red)
  • the great red dragon, with a tail that swept down a third of the stars in the sky= circumhorizontal arc (sun elevation 65 deg)
  • the gread dragon was thrown down= sun begins to sink, circumhorizontal arc disapears at the horizon
  • the woman who had given birth was given two great eagle`s wings=22 deg halo(woman), 1/2 of the parhelic circle on the side of the sun (wings), sun elevation approx. 50 deg

Rev XIII, 1-18

        two beasts= left and right infralateral arc

Rev XIX, 11

  • sword= sun pillar
  • eyes flamed like fire= parhelia to the 22 deg halo
  • garment drenched in blood= supralateral arc
  • diadems on his head= circumzenith arc

        white horse= lower tangent arc (?)

Rev XX, 10-27; Rev XXI,1-5 (Vision of the holy city of Jerusalem)

  • wall=complete parhelic circle (sun elevation 20 deg)
  • gates like pearls= 120 deg parhelia
  • lamb= upper tangent arc (very bright), 22 deg halo, parhelia to the 22 deg halo
  • Lord= Parry arc
  • river, flowing from the throne= Wegeners arc (one part)
  • street= Wegeners arc (the other part)
  • tree with yields twelve crops of fruit= supralateral arc and/or circumzenith arc

notice: he saw the city from a great high mountain, like a plan of a city; the wall is square because of the discription of the holy city by Ezekiel (Ez 48,30-35), of course the parhelic circle is a circle

I think the correspondence between the Revelation of John and a complex halo phenomenon is quite good. I examined other christian visions in the Bible. Also the visions of Ezekiel and Daniel (Dan 7, 1-28; Dan 8, 1-27; Dan 10, 1-21) are good candidates for halo displays.

Regards,
Mark Vornhusen