From: J van Gastel (m043653_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 01/25/1999

Like I told in my former mail, I am new to the list and new to observing halo's. I observed a halo last week ( idon't know on which day). It was not long before sunset, between (about) 15.30 and 15.45 UT.

I saw one sundog, West of the sun, clearly visible. Higher in the sky I saw another halo. I couldn't see clearly where it came from, but it emerged somewhere from the east side of the sun and made a wide ellips (?) ober my head and back to the sun on the West side. I could not see the whole halo. It was faint and white, but I am could see it clearly, especially the east part (not from the beginning though). I think it was a heliac arc, but I have no experience in observing halo's so it coulsd be another one.

Jan.