From: Timo Kinnunen (stars_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/11/1996

>The best filter may be the one at the end of your arm - i.e. your hand.

  We finns have some anecdotes about raising one arm for example in a crowded railway station while observing a complex halo display. One method I
have learned to use is to walk behind a building looking at my shadow until
my head is shadowed by a corner of the building. After a while it is not difficult to place one´s head behind a street lamp. (With dark sunglasses.)
I have seen and photographed some elliptical halos around the sun using this
method.

  If some of you considers using a convex mirror to observe complex halo displays or other phenomena, you have to be even more careful to stay in the
shadow because the eye does not react to the sun´s reflected glare so readily, and you´ll have even with sunglasses some afterimages in the retina.