From: Timo Nousiainen (tpnousia_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/08/1996

"˙^˙ "Re: Introduction" (Jul 5, 18:53):
> Thanks for the explanation, Paul! So the "pauses" are the transition
areas
> between the "spheres" where the chemical composition of the lower sphere
is
> changing into that of the upper sphere. Do I have that right?

The chemical composition of the atmosphere changes little below altitudes of about 100 km. This region in our atmosphere is called homosphere. The upper part is called heterosphere and there the gases are layered (heaviest gases are the lowest). There are many different ways to divide the atmosphere into spheres, this troposhere-stratosphere-etc -classification is based the the stability, that is, to the vertical change in temperature.

> Of course if that is true, then what about the ozone layer? Is the ozone
> actually part of the tropopause?

Ozone is a minor constituent of atmosphere and small amounts can be found from anywhere (at least almost anywhere). Ozone is mainly formed in the upper parts of stratosphere (within the ozone layer) by photochemical reactions and near the ground (air pollution and  photochemistry). Due to mean flow and turbulent mixing in the atmosphere, ozone is then moved all around.

> Are nacreous clouds and noctilucent clouds ever visible to us on
the ground?

Both clouds are visible at high latitudes only (from the ground). Between 45 S ... 45 N it is rather hopeless to try to spot these.

  • Timo