From: Timo Nousiainen (tpnousia_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/09/1996

Lew Gramer: "Re: Introduction" (Jul 8, 14:43):

> What distinguishes the neutrosphere from the ionosphere? The degree to
which
> atmospheric gases are ionized? By what? Meteor infall? Cosmic radiation?
Solar
> wind? Also, how does the level of the ionosphere relate to changes in
Earth's
> magnetic field and the associated radiation belts?

Main sources of ionization are the shortwave radioation of sun, particle radiation of sun and cosmic radiation. Solar UV-radioation is important source of ionization in the upmost part of the atmosphere, but little hard UV-radiation penetrates below, say, a hundred kilometers, except within a small window at the Lyman-alpha wavelenght (the UV-radiation reaching ozone layer is not considered hard, it has longer wavelenght and smaller ionization potential). Particle radiation is the cause of aurora and it penetrates below a hundred kilometers especially during strong solar disturbances. Cosmic radiation is stable source of very energetic (shortwave) electromagnetic rays and also penetrates below 100 kilometers. If you want specific information about which types are most important at different altitudes, I can check it out from my masters thesis as soon as I get back home (after a week). Sorry, but can't remember then exactly, I've been working on completely different things since graduation.

  • Timo