From: Veikko M{kel{ (pvtmakela_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/01/1996

> In addition to halos the past few days, I noticed that during our
> summer or dry season, as we call it in the tropics, there is an
> increased incidence of pearlescent clouds (those cloud patches
> which appear very highly colored with mint green, baby pink, lilac,
> baby blue, and the like) which readily capture my attention since
> their color is so demanding of attention compared to the usual
> color of the clouds and the sky.

> Would their mechanism be similar to that of halos? I've noticed
> that they normally occur together with dark cloud bands, probably a
> precursor to rainclouds or incoming fronts.

  I guess you seen iridescent clouds. Those are seen here quite   often, but usually with pale and faint color and those are very   never the Sun. As bright and colorful those are more rare.

  The mechanism is not the same as in halos. Halos are formed   refraction/reflection in ice crystals, but iridescent clouds   are formed in uniform sized water droplets in clouds. There   could be regions in clouds where droplets have same diameter   with each other. The diffraction from these droplets and   interference between light rays from two different drops   make those pure colors.

  Iridescence have the same mechanism like in coronas and it have   some relationship also to rainbows (interference).

                                               -VeikkoM-