From: Sirko Molau (sirko.molau_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/01/1996

Hello Jun,

> results. Are Meteoptic members aware of any more systematic
> surveys of frequency and the effects of season and latitude?

currently there are two halo observer groups active in the world, the Finish team and our German halo group. The main goal of the German network, which was founded in 1978 and has been including on average some 20
active observers at every time, is just what you described: We study the occurance of all types of haloes, their relative frequencies, connection to weather fronts and cloud types as well as seasonal/diurnal effects and mutual dependencies between different halo types. To make the analysis easier, a 'halo key' was introduced as a kind of observational standard to ensure that all observers record all relevant circumstances of their observation. This key is, as announced earlier in Meteoptic, available via anonymous ftp from ftp.tu-chemnitz.de, directory /pub/Local/msdos/astro/halo. Starting from 1986, all observations have been feed to a computer. Now they
can be analysed with our 'Halo' software. Currently, the database contains more that 35.000 single observations. From here you can easily obtain the numbers you are looking for, i.e. relative halo type frequencies and other statistical measurements. Of course, most of our haloes are observed at ~50 deg N from Germany. Just mail me if you would like to know more about the German SHB ("Sektion Halobeobachtung" = halo observation section) or if you want to take part in our programme.
Regards, Sirko Molau