From: Veikko Makela (veikko.makela_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/06/2005

Greetings for all the METEOPTIC subscribers!

Welcome to this newborn mailing list! This is the first message to list after I have transferred it to the new server.

Some background: In May 2005 Finnish University and Research Network (FUNET) people announced me, that they will stop their Listserv service, which have been the home of our METEOPTIC mailing list. After short thinking I decided to move this list to mail/www server owned by Ursa Astronomical Association, who's member I am, and what is also the mother organization of the Finnish halo and atmospheric optics groups.

I took me the whole June the get all the preparations finished. I'll hope all is working now (please do not send any test messages to the list, I am sure I can find if there is something wrong :-) ).

It seems that the FUNET mailing list is still existing, even they told me it will put down very soon. Anyhow, it is not safe to continue on the old platform, FUNET can close the service in any day now. So, let's continue
our communication on this new list. I have added all those few subscriptions arrived lately to this list.

SOME INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION

  1. The name of this list is now: METEOPTIC-L and the address is: meteoptic-l_at_ursa.fi

   by using the address above you can distribute your message to all    the 130 subscribers

2) If you want unsubscribe (withdraw) list (or subscribe the list with

   new address, plase use the WWW form available via list home page    http://www.ursa.fi/eng/meteoptic/ in section list management.    Direct links to the form are not working.

  • Fill in the form and submit
  • After a while your receive a confirmation email
  • Reply the mail by instructions written in the message 3) I am the list administrator and you can reach me by address meteoptic-l-owner_at_ursa.fi 4) Limitations

   There are some limitations in posting to the list. These are set to    protect you spam mail, viruses and other unwanted messages.

  • You can send messages to the list only with _exactly the same address_ you have subscribed the list
  • The attachments are forbidden due to possible virus danger (the infected computer can send harmfull messages by stolen address of yours)
  • The limit of message size is 40 kilobytes 5) Images, photographs

   Because the attachments are forbidden, the most recommended way to    publish your images is to put them on your personal home pages and    just announce the WWW address on the list.

   This is better way in many others reasons also. You can't never know    how fast connection the listees have or is their mailbox quota limited    etc.

   If you have not access in any home page area, please ask some help    from your friends or contact me. I can put some single images to the    server, but not very massive amount of them.

6) Message archive

   There is a new feature: All the 780 messages sent since March 1995 are    now archived into the address:

   http://www.ursa.fi/ursa/viestinta/listat/meteoptic-l/summary.html

   This archive is password protected and also the addresses are hidden    to avoid spam mailers to catch them. The archive is also excluded    (hopely) from search robots such as Google.

   The login name is: meteoptic
   and the password is: halo22

Summer greetings
from sunny Finland