From: Jarmo Moilanen (jarmom_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 01/13/2000

| I am just thinking that the ice cover on the lake is maybe not so
| good reflector as a water surface. There are almost always some
| impurities in the ice, maybe some air bubles in it orsome snow on it
| and the ice surface is not so even as a calm water surface. The
| light will diffract too much.

Yes, you are maybe right. Water surface should work better.

| In case of winter and diamond dust in the air may be so close enough
| the reflecting surface the reflected halo effect is possible. You
| know in case of rainbows the water droplets are, I think, quite near
| the water surface. In summer conditions I don't think, the reflected
| halos are possible, because the ice crystals are in so far away from
| the reflecting surface.

It is possible to see reflected halos also in summer. There was this one sun
pillar display in Oulu region over a year ago. A long, very bright and sharp
sun pillar was in front of (or should I say below) uniform cloud (As?). All the
time this sun pillar was visible sun itself was behind that cloud and only explanation is that the sun pillar got its light from suns reflection on sea
surface (clear sky was visible only near horizon below sun). Later that cloud-layer rised higher so that the sun finaly came out behind cloud. A little
bit later I was driving towards town and I saw that there was very sharp and
nice glitter path over a sea bay which maybe produced sun pillar I saw earlier.
Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me but I think that Jarkko Korhonen
saw and photographed this same case not far from my place.

| -VeikkoM-

Regards,
Jarmo