From: Veikko Makela (Veikko.Makela_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 01/13/2000

  • Forwarded message from "L-Soft list server at Finnish University and

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 13:27:53 +0100 (MET) From: Paul Schlyter <pausch_at_saaf.se>
Subject: Re: Rainbow

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Veikko Makela wrote:
>
>> In case of winter and diamond dust in the air may be so close enough
>> the reflecting surface the reflected halo effect is possible. You
>
> Interesting conversation! I saw once how sunlight reflected from
ordinary
> windows caused "sun pillars" in a weak diamond dust halo display. I
don't
> think such a sight is a very uncommon one.

Even at night, "sun pillars" may be visible -- from nearby streetlights, if there are ice crystals in the lower air.

> Halos caused by other halos, i.e. secondary halos, i.e. multiple
> scattering halos, are another, very interesting topic. I believe there
is
> no very good evidence of their existence.

They certainly exist, but I don't think they're observable: they'll just causea general brightening of a large part of the sky. Think of it like this: the Sun is essentially a point source, which casues a halo. Any point on that halo can of course cause a halo of its own - a "secondary halo". The whole "primary halo" thus causes a whole "family" of "secondary haloes", which cover the entire sky from the Sun out to twoce the radius of the "primary halo".

  • End forwarded message -----