From: Paul Schlyter (pausch_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 01/13/2000

>| This is true for most ices, but when the ice is just fresh, its
>| surface may indeed be very smooth. Such an ice - if thick enough -
>| is the best ice to go skating on btw. Usually such ices only appear
>| on freshly frozen lackes: after only one or two weeks, that smooth
>| ice surface may be gone.
>
> Maybe so but that kind of ice surface is very rare here in Finland at
least.
> Usually you got at least some snow over it very soon and it ruins your
skating
> ;)

Your weather is colder than ours. Stockholm is probably one of the best areas in the world if you want to sakte on natural ices: the weather here usually changes a lot above and below freezing during the winter, which often removes any snow on the ice (however, after the snow has melted from the ice, its surface is no longer very smooth). Also, we have a lot of lakes + the archipelago in the Baltic sea, which means various waters freeze at different times over a time period which often spans several months (Oct/Nov for the smallest lakes, to February for the outer parts of the archipelago).

>| In January 1997 there was a splendid halo display over Stockholm,
>| caused by ice rystals very low in the air. This is the best halo
>| display I've ever seen, and it's the only time I've seen an
>| uninterrupted 45-degree halo (or at least the part above the horizon
>| as uninterrupted). Many other halo components were visible as well:
>| vertical pillar, horizontal arc, circumscribed halo, and even
>| anti-helion arcs (near the horizontal arc but opposite the Sun). I
>| watched this from a balcony at the 7th floor, and parts of the
>| 22-degree halo even appeared IN FRONT OF THE NEXT HOUSE, some 100
>| meters away! The entire 22-degree halo could be seen, even though
>| the Sun only was some 10 degrees above the horizon!!!
>
> Sounds like you got very good diamond dust display!!! Congratulations!
> Did you got any pictures?

Sadly, no.... my camera was far away at the time. :-( But I'll remember that halo display forever. It was quite local too -- I called a friend some 25 km away, but he saw no haloes at all.

Paul Schlyter, Swedish Amateur Astronomer's Society (SAAF) Grev Turegatan 40, S-114 38 Stockholm, SWEDEN e-mail: pausch_at_saaf.se paul.schlyter_at_ausys.se paul_at_inorbit.com WWW: http://hotel04.ausys.se/pausch http://welcome.to/pausch