From: Michael Ellestad (bowlturner_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 05/19/2003

  • Harald Edens <edens_at_WEATHER-PHOTOGRAPHY.COM> wrote:
    > If the first-order interference bow is so much
    > separated from the primary,
    > and so intense, that would mean very small
    > droplet sizes, and the bow would
    > be more white I think. If I remember well, Les
    > Cowley did some simulations
    > of such a rainbow, with oblate droplets and
    > also frozen raindrops.
    >
    > At the back of thunderstorms there can be
    > drizzle (more round droplets due
    > to surface tension) mixed with big droplets
    > from molten hail/graupel
    > (oblate due to air resistance). Thus there
    > might be two distinct drop
    > shapes in the downdraft and thus a separation
    > of two rainbows (one round,
    > one oval). That would indeed be at the top
    > part of the rainbow, which is
    > most prone to deformation due to non-round
    > droplets. (The horizontal
    > cross-section of oblate droplets is still
    > circular, but the vertical
    > cross-section is oval).
    >
    > Harald

Harald,

  I did not think of there being oblong drops mixed with small speroid drops I thought it would be due to multiple scattering and as I said I seen this at the back of a T-storm except it was faint but if it were brighter I would of got some pics but could not do any photos:(

Hows the school work going? I hope you will get a break every once in a while so you can have fun with the camera doing halo photography.

Best,
Michael

Do you Yahoo!?
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo. http://search.yahoo.com