From: Marko Pekkola (jmpekkol_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 05/19/2003

Hello colleagues,

There is at least one old Finnish observation (and photograph) of this rare, odd thing. It was seen and photographed during early 1980´s in Kuopio by Petteri Heikkinen (He is no longer in atmospheric optics and the picture might even be lost). What I remember of his color print picture it looked startlingly similar than particularly Benjamin Kühne´s pictures. Its impressive how large collection of this really special type of rainbow German network has.

Best regards, Marko

> > Yesterday, during a sunny break in the rain, I saw a beautiful
rainbow.
> > It was pointed out by my companion that it was a double rainbow. Upon
> > closer inspection, I saw that she was correct. The rainbow was double
> > wide, and the colour array repeated itself pefectly. And me without a
> > camera! I have never seen this before, is it as rare as I think it
is??
> It's correct, this double rainbow is rare. I watched it twice, two weeks
ago
> and on the 03th. of June 2002. I have taken a lots of pictures of this
> double rainbow (pictures: http://www.nachtwolke.de/index2.htm -->
> Atmospheric phenomena --> anomal rainbow )
> Last week the german observer Eva Seidenfaden saw this double rainbow
too.
> On the AKM pages we are collecting pictures of this "double rainbow" -->
> http://www.meteoros.de/unbe/regen.htm . I think this rainbow is made by
> interference. What you think?

Marko Pekkola
Tahdet ja avaruus -journal