From: Harald Edens (edens_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 06/15/2003

Hi Michael,

Yes, I have seen some optical effects in those glass beads as well! Maybe not the actual "glass-bow" though, but they may be worth mentioning:

I've noticed the heiligenschein (the equivalent of wet heiligenschein, that
is) in traffic signs when the sun is low and the sign is near the antisolar
point. I have also seen something similar to your observation, rainbow colors, but in these road signs (not marks *on* the road). The rainbow colors I saw reminded me of antisolar iridescence. Maybe it was actually a
"rainbow" or glassbow for that matter. I would typically see these colors in the blue-white road signs over the highways in Holland, when the sun would be low in the back and the sign forward overhead or to the side (i.e.
not exactly near 180 degrees opposite the sun). Closer inspection learned that the trafic signs are composed of the same kind of retro-reflecting glass beads as the road marks. That way they are always easy to see from your car, since you are on the light source itself.

Speaking of antisolar iridescence: I haven't seen this term, or photos, in any optics book yet. Why is that? Antisolar iridescence is as natural an effect as the common iridescence, but it would (I guess) be caused by spurious glory rings instead of the corona. Anyway, after figuring out that it might occur, I have seen the antisolar iridescence several times in
the mountain wave clouds here in New Mexico and also have a number of pictures of the phenomenon that I still need to scan in. It's one of those
phenomena that go unnoticed unless you expect it and know where and when to
look. I've seen it up to 20 degrees off the antisolar point, as slight green and pink pastel colors in the bases of lenticular clouds. The colors
are even more pastel than regular iridescence. It's really obvious to see from an airplane, looking away from the glory. If anyone is interested I can maybe find and scan the photos tomorrow.

Harald