From: Les Cowley (sun1_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 06/15/2003

> Speaking of antisolar iridescence: I haven't seen this term, or photos,
in
> any optics book yet. Why is that? Antisolar iridescence is as natural
an
> effect as the common iridescence, but it would (I guess) be caused by
> spurious glory rings instead of the corona. Anyway, after figuring out
> that it might occur, I have seen the antisolar iridescence several times
in
> the mountain wave clouds here in New Mexico and also have a number of
> pictures of the phenomenon that I still need to scan in. It's one of
those
> phenomena that go unnoticed unless you expect it and know where and when
> look. I've seen it up to 20 degrees off the antisolar point, as slight
> green and pink pastel colors in the bases of lenticular clouds. The
colors
> are even more pastel than regular iridescence. It's really obvious to
see
> from an airplane, looking away from the glory. If anyone is interested
> can maybe find and scan the photos tomorrow.

Yes, please show them Harald!

Mie calculated antisolar iridescence is 10-100 times fainter (depending on the cloud droplets sizes) than ordinary iridescence near to the sun. But
on the other hand, the background sky/cloud is less bright in the antisolar
direction so the overall contrast ratio of the colours might not be too different.

Les