From: Harald Edens (edens_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 06/18/2003

>In case of lower rays ("cloud rays" the particles are
>dust and water droplets I think. In case of twilight
>(real "crepuscular rays") they are mainly molecules and
>the altitude of these are much higher in atmosphere.

I thought that the pink rays are caused by shadows (from clouds or mountains below the horizon) cast on the purple red, which consists of fine
aerosols at high altitude. Therefore, these rays are similar to normal crepuscular rays. ??

>The terminology of these in different sources are very
>varying. Because the name "crecupuslar" is meaning
>twilight", I like to use name "crepuscular rays" just
>for those shadows seen in clear sky twilight colours and
>use different name for those lower level rays. I don't
>know if these have a common name in literature. We in
>Finland have invent an unofficial name "cloud rays".
>They have of course plnty of traditional names:
>"The ladders of Jacob", "The Sun drows water" etc..

The word crepuscular is Latin for "body" or actually "bodily". So, I think
that that term can be used for any body that casts shadows and makes sunlight visible as rays: clouds, mountains, trees and such.

I agree that these rays look different from normal "cloud rays". I like to
call the twilight rays "twilight crepuscular rays" and any other solar or lunar rays "crepuscular rays". But that's just my opinion, and I'm not happy with my own nomenclature either...

Harald