From: Michael Ellestad (bowlturner_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 03/27/2005

  • pvtmakel_at_MAPPI.HELSINKI.FI wrote:
    > Lainaus Mats Mattsson <matmat_at_TELIA.COM>:
    >
    > > It looks like pine tree pollen.
    > > If you compare it with this image which is
    > pine tree.
    > > It looks very much the same.
    >

    > Hello!
    >
    > Surely Harald's photos are caused by pollen,
    > but I
    > disagree it is caused by pine (or spruce)
    > pollen.
    > The corona is lacking brightenings on the top
    > and
    > bottow of the first order and on the side in
    > the
    > second order corona, which are typical for pine
    > pollen coronae. The 'mickey mouse' shape of
    > the
    > pine pollen particles cause these features.
    > Also
    > the corona looks too round for pine pollen.
    >
    > I think Claudia's suggestion of alder or hazel-
    > tree is better. The later is not, however,
    > familiar
    > for me. In our laitudes there just few tress
    > causing
    > bright pollen coronae.
    >
    > regards,
    > -Veikko Mdkeld-

Veikko,

  That pollen corona I can tell has no
enhancements whatsoever but it is quite
symmetrical. I have never seen such a symmetrical corona except in fog, I myself have never observed a nice pollen corona but this past february I got to photograph my first elliptical halo and I am sure you heard about it on the mailing list. Harald Edens also got elliptical halo too and his was 8 degrees high and 5 degrees wide.

All of the best,

Michael

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site! http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/