From: J Marko Pekkola (jmpekkol_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 11/16/1998

> I have heard once about a photograph of faint pillar of Venus. Planets
and
> stars, except Venus (and maybe Jupiter when it is bright), are too faint
> show halos bright enough to detect by naked eye. Pillar and "subsun" of
Venus
> are probably most possible halos produced by any planets or stars.
>
> Well, a really bright supernova propably can show some halos.

In good arctic diamond dust conditions (with crystals sparkling everywhere near you) its easy to the light pillar caused by bright Venus. Its also well visible in binoculars and steadily apparent as long as the best conditions continue. Unlike with the normal cirrus-clouds caused halos the diamond dust pillars have sharp edges. I have watched Venus pillars in the beginning of 1980´s a couple of times in best diamond dust conditions, but Jupiter was not then visible.

There´s quite a good pile of Venus and Jupiter pillar halos in the old literature, some of them observed during the first and the second world war.

Then there are less than 5 individual and not so trustworthy reports of claimed halos, going as far as claiming 22 halo around the relatively dim Altair (!).
I would be really amazed if these would have any seed of truth in them. From the best of climate conditions (here: the COLD CLIMATES) we have none such reports. And as far as I am aware we have no dynamite proof record of the 22 halo visible around any starlike object, not even around the bright Venus.

Regards, Marko