From: Jan O. Mattsson (Jan.Mattsson_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 08/03/1998

Colours of clouds, rain and fog

It has been interesting to read the reports mailed to the members of the group of
meteorological (atmospheric) optics on cloud colours and related phenomena
(the

reference list below). By this letter I wish to contribute with some own observations.

   Some years ago I noticed in a situation with thunder cells that the dark and
low-levelled base of one of the cumulonimbus clouds had a greenish tint. As the
cloud was situated over a wooden area (pine) I thought that its special colour tone
was a result of light diffusely reflected from the wood (scattered light). In the
same wooden area (southern Sweden) I have several times also observed that heavy
downpours have a weak greenish colour probably due to diffuse reflection of light
from the wood. Maybe, has such an effect contributed to the greenish tone of the
cumulonimbus cloud mentioned above. The cloud developed thunder and rain but no
tornadoes.

      Another observation was made on March 22, 1981 at about 2.30 p. m. in
southern Tunisia over the steppe and semi-desert south of Medenine. Scattered
cumulus mediocris clouds were formed over the area. The bases of the clouds in or
near the zenith had all a reddish tint. Closer to the horizon the cloud bases
became more violet, probably an effect of more blue light being involved. I was and
am convinced that the reddish tint was due to light diffusely reflected from the
red soil of the steppe and the semi-desert.

         A third observation of related nature was made on May 23, 1973. About 9 a.
m. I was driving on the motorway from Malmö to Lund in southern Sweden. It was a
morning with medium dense to thin fog (probably a combination of advection and
radiation fog) covering the area. In this time of the year the numerous fields with
rape on the plains of southernmost Sweden were in bloom. Over the rape fields the
fog was coloured yellow with a weak tendency towards green as a result of diffuse
reflection of light from the flowers. On "the sky" it was easy to find out the
directions to nearby rape fields without directly seeing them. I guess that yellow
light has the property of penetrating fog rather easily. Sometimes I believed that
the fog became thinner ahead along the road and than the sunshine was coming
through. However, in all these cases the fog was still there and instead the
above-mentioned effect was in action. In the afternoon two days later I noticed
that also haze was coloured in the same way, however, much weaker.

            These observations have convinced me that the colour of the ground
surface and its vegetational cover during some circumstances strongly influences
the colours of the clouds and the boundary air layers.

Lund August 3, 1998
Jan O. Mattsson
Department of Physical Geography
Lund University
Soelvegatan 13, SE-223 62 LUND
Sweden
e-mail adress: Jan.Mattsson_at_natgeo.lu.se

References (e-mails on green skies and related phenomena sent to the meteorological
(atmospheric) optics group)

Pepin, Barlow       11 May  1995
Tyler, David        15 May  1995
Ling, Alister       16 May  1995