From: Russ Sampson (Russell.Sampson_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 08/13/1998

Just a few minutes ago I observed a rather unusual atmospheric phenomenon outside my office window. It was around 0730 local time (1330 UTC) and the skies were mostly clear with scattered cumulus and altocumulus clouds. Winds are presently from the north at about 10 kph. Appearing in a layer below the clouds was a series of dark, transparent trapezoids. The sides of each one of the trapezoids 'pointed' back to a single cloud. The angular width appeared to match the angular width of the corresponding cloud. It appears these may be 'broken' crepuscular rays. I have attached a MS Word diagram to help illustrate the effect, unfortunately I don't have a camera in my office.

For the last few days the skies of Edmonton have been full of smoke from nearby forest fires (mostly from a fire in the Slave Lake region to the north of Edmonton). Just last Monday we set an all-time record for reduced visibility due to smoke (600 m). Currently the visibility on the ground is quite good (24 km at 0800 local time), but there appears to be some smoke aloft. I checked the 1200 UTC sounding (0600 local time) and there appears to be no strong nocturnal inversion layer possibly due to the relatively high winds and cloud cover during the night.

What appears to be occurring is the smoke has been confined to a layer below the clouds producing a large amount of scattering of the visible light. The surface layer and layer between the smoke and the cloud base appears to be more clear and therefore, would not scatter as much light. The cloud would cast a shadow onto the smoke layer and thus prevent the scattering of the sunlight and produce a darker region.

Any comments?

Russell (Russ) D. Sampson
Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences 1-26 Earth Sciences Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
T6G 2E3
Fax: (403)-492-7598