From: Juergen Rendtel (rend_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 06/09/1998

Hi all,

The phenomenon of a pollen corona - which is probably nothing really unusual for the Finnish observers - was visible for almost 3 days in a row from parts of Germany and neighbouring regions from May 10 to 12 during day and night (nearly full Moon).

In the Potsdam/Berlin area, the corona was caused by pine pollens. We had calm weather and a temperature inversion at about 3 km elevation, so the pollen concentration was quite high.

The phenomenon was also reported by eyewitnesses since they saw "unusual rings and spots" around the Moon.

2 photos and a few remarks can be found at my web page: http://aipsoe.aip.de/~rend/pollen-cor.html

Finally a remark about NLC: although we are already within the season, I got only one report (morning of May 26) from Chemnitz. It is certainly not because of poor observing conditions, since we had many good nights in May and early June.

Cheers,

Juergen

--

Juergen Rendtel Astrophysical Institute Potsdam International Meteor Organization jrendtel_at_aip.de Arbeitskreis Meteore e.V. http://aipsoe.aip.de/~rend/rnl-p.html Phone: (+49) 331 - 960727 (priv.) (+49) 331 - 288 2327 (office) Gontardstr. 11 Fax: (+49) 331 - 288 2310 D-14471 Potsdam