From: Veikko Makela (PVTMAKELA_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 06/10/1998

> The phenomenon of a pollen corona - which is probably nothing
> really unusual for the Finnish observers - was visible for almost
> 3 days in a row from parts of Germany and neighbouring regions
> from May 10 to 12 during day and night (nearly full Moon).
> In the Potsdam/Berlin area, the corona was caused by pine pollens.
> We had calm weather and a temperature inversion at about 3 km
> elevation, so the pollen concentration was quite high.

  On that time it was birch pollen time in FInland, pines are active   right now. Of course, the in more southern latitudes you have   those earlier. Nice site for following pollen situation in Europe   is EPI (European POllen Information) at http://www.cat.at/pollen/.

  It should link your page into METEOPTIC homepage. BTW, in the   refence list there are missing the paper were we give presentation   of the phenomenon. It is the same issue of Applied Optics where   was Tränkle's and Mielke's paper on simulations. Our paper is:

  P. Parviainen, C. F. Bohren, and V. Mäkelä, "Vertical elliptical   coronas caused by pollen," Appl. Opt. 33, 4548-4562 (1994).

  I just look the Applied Optics Online and there seems be a new   article:

  F.M.Mirnslll, "Solar Corona Caused by Juniper Pollen in Texas",   Appl. Opt. 37, 1486-1488

  The Applied Optics Online is at http://epubs.osa.org/aoo/, but   there seems to be only paper during 1997-98. But anyway this   link could be useful for all interested in atmospheric optics.

-VeikkoM-