From: Paul Schlyter (pausch_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 02/02/1997

> ...there's also backscattering preferentially in exactly the
direction
> of the incident light, plus a probably small additional brightening due
> to this backscatter being coherent.
> The phenomenon is usually referred to as "heiligenschein". If
there
> are water droplets invovled (from bedewed ground or fog) you can also
> see colored rings from diffraction, and this is called a "glory" or the
> "spectre of Brocken".

Now you're confusing different phenomena here:

  1. "Opposition effect": an apparent brightening directly opposite the Sun, due to disappearance of shadows. No water drops are needed here, ann that's needed is a rough surface of some kind: a wood, a corn field, a savannah, whatever.
  2. "Helilgenschein": this is a refraction+reflection phenomenon due to large (i.e. large compared to the wavelength of light) water drops resting on a reflecting surface. The water drops focus the incident light, which is reflected by the surface, and the water drops then also focuses the reflected light back towards the incident direction. This can nicely be simulated with many small glass balls, or round glass beads, on e.g. a piece of white paper.
  3. "Spectre of Brocken", "Glory", "Anti-Corona": these are different names of the same phenomenon, which is due to diffraction in small water droplets floating freely in the air. It's typically seen on a cloud if you're above the cloud. This phenomenon, which is quite complex, is probably related to the rainbow. We all know the appearance and the cause of the ordinary rainbow, right? If the water drops get smaller, diffraction of light will cause visible effects. First one will see extra (or supernumerary) rainbows, immediately inside the primary raindow, with colors like red-blu-red-blue/etc up to three or even 4-5 times. If the water droplets are even smaller, the primary rainbow vanishes and only the supernumerary bows are seen, but their colors are now so well mixed that we only see them as white -- this is the "fog-bow". The fog-bow is a few degrees smaller than the normal primary rainbow. Now, if the water droplets get even smaller than that, the fogbow will become smaller still, and fainter -- until it all "converges" into a spot a few degrees in diameter, directly opposite the Sun. Since all the light now is concentrated in a fairly small spot, this "degenerated fog-bow" once again becomes visible, as the anti-corona, or glory.

Paul Schlyter, Swedish Amateur Astronomer's Society (SAAF) Grev Turegatan 40, S-114 38 Stockholm, SWEDEN
e-mail:  pausch_at_saaf.se     psr_at_net.ausys.se    paul_at_inorbit.com
WWW:     http://www.raditex.se/~pausch/    http://spitfire.ausys.se/psr/