From: Juergen Rendtel (jrendtel_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 11/11/1996

There were already some comments concerning my recent observation. Thanks.

> There is a building which is lit by powerfull floodlights. One of those
> lights gives that strong light pillar. When this fog is in higher
altitude I
> can see only a part of that pillar. It might be so that there is a
strong
> floodlight near your observation place Juergen. And what you have seen
is
> "light beam" from that floodlight. There is maybe fog in the air.
Because in
> your other observation the phenomenon was in lower elevation then that
fog
> (or cloud) layer was lower. Was both observations from the same place
and
> was both phenomenon located in the same place on the sky?
Yes, both observations were made at the same location. As for the precise position I will measure the photos as soon as possible, but within the visual
accuracy limits the two phenomena were in the same region. However, there is no light beam, and the `sky beamer' of a dico some kilometers
apart was (i) off, and (ii) looks different. (Fortunately, I was able to arrange
that the beam does not interfere with my regular photographic fireball patrol.)
Since my camera runs at the same place for 1000+ hours a year, I can say that
a similar phenomenon can only have occurred under overcast skies or in moonlit nights. Otherwise I should have detected it on the images.

> Second. If that light pillar is exactly vertical then it can be a halo
from
> artificial lightsource.

No, the long axis was not vertical.

Juergen