From: RUSS SAMPSON (Russell.Sampson_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 08/14/1996

From: Russell (Russ) D. Sampson

One evening last month my wife and I chased a early evening thunderstorm that had just passed over Edmonton. Once we caught up to the storm we could see a broken rainbow with converging crepuscular rays inside the rainbow. Behind the storm was a collection of small low clouds that produced the crepuscular rays. We carried on into the heart of the storm. At one point we could see the lower portion of the primary directly ahead of the car. This part of the rainbow eventually got so bright that we could not see cars more than a hundred meters ahead of us. Some of the enhanced intensity may be due to the spray produced by the cars on the highway. Around this time we drove through an area with small ponds and lakes and the lower portion of a reflected rainbow could be seen between the primary and secondary rainbow. Unfortuatly I did not have my camera with me (we had just left a restaurant) but I made some notes and I am in the process of completing some colour drawings.

Russ
sampsonr_at_geog.ualberta.ca