From: Anne Kristiina Jokinen (ajokinen_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/31/1996

Hello, everyone!

I've been reading this list for a long time but I think this is the first time I write something. Well, to the point.

On the night 29th - 30 th July I noticed very clear noctilucent clouds (I hope my spelling is right). Around 11.30 pm (local time) in Helsinki I saw the northern half of the sky covered with NLC. They were very Cirrus-like but they had the 'magic NLC glow' and it was pretty dark, so I don't think I've mistaken.

When I got to Espoo half an hour later, the clouds were gathered in the northern horizon, maximum altitude about 30 to 40 degrees above horizon. They were also brighter and had some interesting NLC structure (like waves and webs, I don't know the terms exactly). At this stage I took some photographs, too.

On the whole, in my opinion it was very nice phenomenon to see - I see NLC rearly, about once a year. Did anyone else notice it, comments?

Anne Jokinen
Finland