From: Chris Luginbuhl (cbl_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/09/1996

One relatively mundane effect not explicitly mentioned in the discussion so
far that influences the frequency of halo effects seen about the moon is that
the moon is not up all night like the sun is up all day, except when the moon
is full. So this is an extra factor on top of the brightness effect that serves to even more strongly emphasize the frequency of phenomena around full
moon.

But I find that in one respect the lower intensity of the lunar orb is an advantage: coronae are more often observable around the moon, or at least they are more *comfortably* observable. Unless one regularly looks directly
at the sun and wears extremely dark sunglasses (like I know Brian Skiff does), the solar counterparts, though no doubt often present, are practically unobservable due to the sun's intensity and the often very bright clouds in which coronae are formed.

Chris

Christian B. Luginbuhl
U.S. Naval Observatory Flagstaff Station Flagstaff Arizona USA