From: Marko Riikonen (Marko.Riikonen_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 06/30/1996

Hi Jun,

It is great to hear that I am not the only one in Philippines who is interested in halos. I've been staying in Philippines for about 2 years and
seen a lot of halos there. Once I carried out a halo project in Siquijor island. I stayed there five months and got 170 displays (counted with the system: one day of halos - one display, one night of halos - one display). My
one year record in Finland is 246 displays so it seems that quantitatively Philippines is better. During the time I stayed in Siquijor Ialso got 50 days
of halos in a row - halos continuously everyday for 50 days. That's my record.
In Finland, for any halo observer, the best rows are only about 15 days long.

Well, I have to admit that the quality of the halos in Philippines was not so
good as in Finland. Everyday high clouds gave usually only 22 halo, circumzenithal arc and stuff. But when the Typhoons came there was almost always pyramidal crystal halos, most often 9 halo - usually extremely faint,
though. I have also seen bright circumscribed halos in Typhoon clouds. There
was this very bright one last January (of February - can't remember exactly
now) in Luzon area. It was announced in the end of ABC Big News and people were told to go out and check it out. Well, I had already photographed it before I watched the news. Did you see it, Jun?

Reflection halos are for some reason missing almost totally in Philippines.
I have seen in Philippines only one sun pillar and two or three faint patches
of parhelic circle extending outwards from parhelion.

It depends a lot on where you live in Philippines how much you see halos. Luzon inland (Angeles City) is not good for halos. Possibly it is due to more
"continental" climate. Despite my long stay in Manila, I haven't seen any good halos there. I think that the "Typhoon side", i.e. east side of the Philippines is better since the high clouds that are related to Taifuuns hit
that area better. Also the amounts of halodisplays are smaller in Manila.

Siquijor got remarkably worse in halos in January when the dry season came in
so I left the place.

Jun, it would be nice to hear more halonews from you in a future. The magic
word for the halos in Philippines is "Typhoon". If you know the Typhoon is approcahing the Philippines, keep on eye on the white high cloud that arrive
before the rain. A nice display is almost a rule.

Marko Riikonen

marko.riikonen_at_ursa.fi