From: Timo Nousiainen (tpnousia_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 03/08/1996

Veikko M{kel{: "Re: Mother-of-pearl clouds" (Mar 8, 13:17):
> Some more information on mother-of-pearl clouds in
> February: In addition to observations in Finland and
> UK, there have been nacreous clouds observation in
> Norway. In Berlin there have been LIDAR based
> observations of polar stratosheric clouds already
> few days (15th Feb) before UK and Finland events.
> UK observations were on 16th and Finnish observations
> on 17th and 18th February.

If I recall right, there was something in the newspaper mentioning that the depletion of ozone layer has been measured as far south as in Berlin, first time ever. This is very likely connected to polar stratospheric clouds, which we see as Mother-of-Pearl clouds.

  • Timo