From: Veikko M{kel{ (PVTMAKELA_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 02/26/1996

> This phenomenon, often called opalescent or irridescent clouds,
> occurs very frequently in western Canada and United States. I have
> seen many beautiful displays in Central Alberta in all seasons, and
> at any time from about an hour after sunrise to about an hour
> before sunset.

   There are two phenomena, which look very similar, but there    are some physical differencies:

  1. Iridescent clouds

   These are ordinary tropospheric clouds, eg. altocumulus or    cumulus. Iridescence are seen very often, usually very near    the Sun (or sometimes the Moon). These clouds could be seen    coloured also in daytimes.

   2) Mother-of-pearl (nacreous) clouds

   Strastospheric cloud in about 17-30 km altitude. These    clouds are in their best in times of sunset or sunrise.    Nacreous clouds are also seen in daytimes, but I think    those have much pale colours.

   Whats common with these? Both have same kind 'pearlish'    colors: pink, light green, indigo, .. This is due to    similar optical mechanism. For both homogenous population    of droplets are needed. In case of m-o-p clouds supercooled    water droplets are assumed.

   How to distinguish these? Mother-of-pearl clouds are seen    mainly in sunset and sunrise. They are visible even the Sun    in several degrees below the horizon. Nacreous clouds are    also seen only in winter time.

                                             -VeikkoM-