From: Paul Williams (PWILLIAMS_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 02/23/1996

        This phenomenon, often called opalescent or irridescent clouds, occurs
very frequently in western Canada and United States. I have seen many beautiful displays in Central Alberta in all seasons, and at any time from about an hour after sunrise to about an hour before sunset.

        The pastel colours are often very subtle and are easily washed out by
bright sky. It is seen most often in clouds relatively close to the sun: about
15° to 30° from the sun. It is much easier to see with sunglasses (unpolarized) to reduce the surrounding brightness. Small cumulus clouds, or
small parts of larger cumulus clouds seem to be most effective in producing
large colour displays; however I have seen irridescence in cirrus clouds as
well.

Paul