From: RUSS SAMPSON (SAMPSONR_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 09/29/1995

At least two modestly bright auroral displays have been visible in the past few days from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (53.5 N, 113.5 W). I observed a display at about 08:30 U.T. Sept. 24 and a student of mine observed another at about 09:00 U.T. Sept. 28. The Sept. 24 display was relatively colourless but moderately bright and dynamic (mostly curtains with a few rays). On a scale of 1 to 10, (where a 1 is a dim, colourless homogeneous arc and a 10 is a bright full sky aurora with a full range of possible colours) I would give it a 4 or a 5.

The Sept. 28 display must have been at least moderately bright since the observer was in the city when she saw it.

I have also seen a homogeneous arc with brief ray structure between about 05:00 and 07:00 U.T. on August 23. I was observing from a site near Golden, British Columbia (about 300 km west of Edmonton). I would give this display a rating of 2. I have slides of this display. The colouration is now back to the typical oxygen green. During the last solar max this "auroral green" appeared to gradually deminish until, towards the end of the cycle, many displays appeared almost colourless (even in long exposure photographs). Did anyone else have this impression?

I have also heard rumours that the next solar cycle has already started, about a year earlier than expected. Does anybody have any info. on this?

Russ Sampson