From: Veikko M{kel{ (PVTMAKELA_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 09/27/1995

> It appears that the reason for the brightest red colour occuring
> below the Sun is the optical thickness of the atmosphere. The reason
> you see the bright red only below the Sun is that the light is of
> higher intensity and therefore can penetrate the atmosphere to the
> observer. The clouds at the other parts of the sky are the same
> colour but not the same brightness and so they would not be visible.

     I got yesterday slides about my observation. I have taken
     two photos and one thing I haven't remember earlier was,
     that there were cirrus patches also nearer the Sun, but
     they weren't red at all.  Of course this not against to
     the explanation you gave, because these clouds have higher
     elevation from the horizon.

     Abouts clouds and color around the red area in the horizon
     I can't say anything, because my photos are taken in the
     beginning of appearance, when the cirrus area in the horizon
     was not very wide and the whole area seems to be pale red.

     Because my photos are slides, I can't unfortunately scan
     them and but them into net.

                                                -Veikko-