From: Veikko M{kel{ (PVTMAKELA_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 09/20/1995

> I'm not sure but it appears the red colouration could have been
> caused by Rayliegh scattering (the same thing that causes the Sun to
> appear red when near the horizon). The cirrus was not only higher
> but may also have been farther away than the lower cumulous clouds so
> the optical path length through the atmosphere was longer for the
> cirrus than the cumulous clouds. Therefore the light from the cirrus
> would have experience more scattering than the light from the
> cumulous clouds, and as a result, appear more reddened.

     That is perhaps correct. But I don't know is this good
     explanation to limited area on reddening just below the
     Sun.  There were ciruus clouds in horizon, but red color
     only in about 30 degrees wide area around the horizon
     point below the Sun.

     Of course the Rayleigh scattering could explain this:
     Cirrus in higher altitude are not so far away from the
     observer and the scattering angle is big from clouds in
     horizon far from the Sun.

                                                -Veikko-