From: Veikko M{kel{ (PVTMAKELA_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 09/19/1995

   I noticed in the middle of last summer an interesting    phenomenon, which I couldn't satified explain.

   My observations were made from the moving bus during    about 70-90 minutes. In the beginning the Sun was in    about 20 degrees altitude and I saw red tint in the    horizon just below the Sun. The color was seen in    the high clouds, cirrus or so. There were also some    lower cumulus clouds in the area, but they weren't    red. The hight on the red area was about 4 degrees    and the width about 20-30 degrees. The red tint got    smoothly faint when going outside from the horizont    point below the Sun.

   When the Sun goes lower, there was not markable    changes in the size of the area. Perhaps the size    increased a little. There were cirrus clouds also    in the larger area, but that defined area was red    coloured.

   The first idea was that this was halo: distorted    22 degree lower tangential arc, but in the end of    the observation the Sun was only in <15 degrees    altitude and the red clours was not halo-like    (I have seen several low Sun halos).

   I guess this is connected to ordinary twilight    effects, but I haven't noticed earlier color    phenomenon like this.

                                   -Veikko-