From: RUSS SAMPSON (SAMPSONR_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 07/14/1995

On the night of July 12, 1995 between 03:00 UT (21:00 MDT) and 03:30 UT I observed what appears to have been a reflected crepuscular ray. It occured at the end of a thundershower when the sky was clear just above the horizon but the sun was still behind the clouds. There was visible precipitation between myself and the western horizon. A shaft of sunlight could be seen projected on to the curtain of precipitation. The the shaft was straight and tapered towards the horizon just like a normal crepuscular ray. But, the ray did not point back to the sun (the clouds were thin enough so the position of the sun could be seen) but to a point on the horizon to the south of the sun. The angle that the ray of light made with the horizon appeared to be the same as the angle from the horizon intersection point back to the sun (recall the law of reflection: the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection). There is a lake in the general direction called Big Lake that appears to be suitable for such a reflection to occur.

I also observed a similar phenomenon last year under very similar conditions. On this occasion a bright spot of light appeared on the bottom of the clouds even though the sun was still behind the same cloud (there was no precip). I found the altitude of the cloud base from the local weather office and using a little trig the light appeared to come from a reflection off the same lake.

Has anyone heard of such a phenomenon? Is there anything in the literature? I have a number of photos of both events.

Russ Sampson SAMPSONR_at_GEOG.UALBERTA.CA