From: PVTMAKELA_at_hidden_email_address.net
Date: 06/21/1995

> I have put together a home page that showcases some of my better
> photographs of sky phenomena, both astronomical and meterological.
> There may be some images that will interest some folks on this
> mailing list. The URL is:

    Hello, Tom!

   I checked some photos in your home page. I found some    interesting refraction phenomena. The Sun mirage in the    Grand Canyon was very nice image and also the sunset in    Muskegon.

   In that later picture the squared Sun is also some kind    of mirage. These distorted Sun effects .. or 'Chinese    lantern effects', how I called them by one special shape    of the setting Sun, are in the same category as the green    flashes and the mirages: refraction phenomena.

   The Sun could have imaginative shapes. Some examples: square    (like in your picture), keyhole (another Sun image below    the original) and Chinese lantern (zig-zag edged Sun).    There could be also separed segments above distorted solar    disc.

   In Finland the famous astrophotographer Mr. Pekka    Parviainen have photographed enormous amount of sunsets and    on his pictures there are several very strange sunsets.

   Some springs ago we used hunt mirages in our observatory,    which in on the coast. In suitable warm calm wheather big    ferries to Sweden were distorted, like big towers in the    horizon.

   The world of refraction is fascinating. You just need to    keep your eyes open and there is possible to catch fabulous    displays of the setting Sun or mirages..

   Have you ever got the green flash? I haven't...

                                                -Veikko-