From: Alister Ling (watcher_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 06/16/1995

Hi Veikko,

thanks for your detailed explanation about pollen coronae.

> You must be careful with cirrus and cirrostratus coronas,
> which are about the same size of pollen coronas. There
> are difraction from tiny ice crystals and because they
> are not spherical, the size relation is a little bit
> different than in drops and pollen grains.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can be convinced that tiny ice crystals produce coronae. Numerous times I've seen them where the cloud type could not have been supercooled water droplets.

> Pollen coronas are seen in the apparently clear sky, or perhaps
> against lower clouds.. and of course there are known periods,
> when there are pollen in the air.

I guess this goes without saying, but one must be complete. Your pollen is not going to be the same type as ours, so the sky looks different.

By the way, no NLC during the evening June 16 06 UT. (N 54 degrees). Finally the wind changed and we got rain, cleared out the massive forest fire smoke for the time being. Not enough rain to douse the fires though.

Alister.