From: Veikko Makela (Veikko.Makela_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 04/21/1995

    ELLIPTICAL CORONA (S+T Apr 95, p. 99)

    In the Observer's Notebook there was a review and a sketch     of an elliptical corona made by Russ Sampson in February

  1. There was speculated that the ellicity is due to the phase of the Moon. It might be, but one possibility is also a corona caused by pollen. The coronae in the drawing is so well defined and colourful (of course a photograph should be better evidence). Also the size of the corona indicates pollen particles or cirrostratus clouds, not any mid-level water clouds.

    I don't know about the climate of the observing, Alberta in     Canada, so I couldn't say anything about the existence of     pollen. But eg. in Finland the earliest pollen corona are seen     in March by alder pollen.

    HALOS AND OTHER NICE PHOTOS (S+T May 95, pp. 100-104)

    Barlow Pepin have collected nice set of atmospheric phenomena     into the article "Atmospheric Symphonies". There are many     nice halo photos, and also pictures of fogbow, iridescence     and anticrepuscular rays.

    I don't handle this article very much, but just few comments     on the images:

(1) Circumscribed halo on page 101. The light pillar cross
    the Sunn seems more like a optical effect in camera than a     real halo.

(2) The coloured contrail on page 103 is probable a part of
    circumhorizontal arc. It is a halo phenomenon, I am quite     sure of that. The order of colors fits to circumhorizontal     are. Only the shape of shape makes the phenomenon looking     unfamiliar.

                                         regards,
                                         -Veikko Makela-