From: Marko Pekkola (JMPEKKOLA_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 04/13/1995

NOTICE! (Walt, Ju. Rendtel, Juhana H., Timo N., Veikko M.)

This is a Meteoptic-list answer to Sirko Molau, but becouse I would have anyway send personal e-mails to some of you as well, I`ve written these in the end of this mail to avoid the unaesthetical double-messages effect in your window.

RE: HISTORIC HALO PAINTING IN THE STOCKHOLM CATHEDRAL It seems that Sirko Molau has made the first brave attempt to rescue Meteoptic from becoming an inside-Finnish conversation channel. Thank you on that!

I once made a halo pilgrimage to Stockholm cathedral to see the painting Sirko referred to. A picture of Vadersolstavlan
(translation: Weathersunpainting) has been published: you will
find an interesting story with intrigue between the Swedish king and the swedish church in connection with a great halo display in this reference:

Nyberg A. / Weather (Bracknell, Great Britain): "An old painting of a halo phenomenon in Stockholm cathedral." Vol 39 (1984), no 3, pp 84-87.

The story was shortly told also in "Valkean Taivaan Vieraat" a booklet  on halos and halo observing by me and Jukka Ruoskanen published in 1992. The arcs above 22 deg halo are probably just unaccurately drawn 22 deg upper tangent arcs. This idea is backed up by two things: 1. Well-developed infralateral arcs that are seen in the display normally  require simultaneous and brilliant upper tangent arcs. 2. The are some other small inaccuracies in the drawing so the observer
(Olaus Magnus/Urban Malare...) has been accurate, but not perfect in
what he has done.

Newertheless the painting is great and the background story is a part of Swedish history. This is also the only case I know of in which a halo drawing is even displayed in Bank notes;the current Swedish 1000 crowns bank note presents the king, as well as the display. Buy it, frame it and hang it on your wall - the value of Swedish crown is currently  hitting the historical bottom, but its still very expensive.

CALL FOR MATERIAL The sender of this e-mail is preparing currently a book in English language  on halos. It is an account of all the species of halos discussed in the literature, and especially a story of the big game hunt of rare halos and an account of some of the research that has been done with rare  halo phenomena.

If you have personal anecdotes, stories, lively memories of rare moments with the hunt of the equally rare halos on the sky or any material you would wish to be distributed in this way, please contact me in my e-mail address then. The following month is the last time to include completely  new material in the book: pictures, stories, notions on halo forms.

I answer e-mails mainly on thursdays. Feel free to send ar ask about any material on halos you have. At least we will have a colleague conversation (fellows of the clan of halos), which is good fun.

PERSONAL MESSAGES Dear Walt,
Yes, the dates seem exactly the same (odd coincidence). I will try to fix the visit in Fairbanks in the latter period: say from 14th of May to 22nd or 23rd of May, but the flight timetables or the reservation situation might change this much.

Dear Jurgen (the umlaut above u is missing...), I wonder if you would be interested in writing a short and lively observing  story on the rapidly moving ripples you witnessed once? The anomalies  section of the book will handle also this case, since your article made me very much interested in the thing.

Dear Juhana,
May I publish your historical elliptical halo picture taken on 18th of February on your home yard in 1988 in the book that I have been making? We are coming there North today (with Johanna) to spend some 4 days in Kuopio at the old home. Wish to see you and discuss some old halo stuff if it is OK for your timetable. I am probably telling in the book some very personal stories, like the event of writing together with you the Weather-article back in 1989 for example.

Dear Timo,
May I publish, please, your great 120 parhelion photograph and perhaps also your elliptical halo above the roof of the same date as Juhanas picture in the book? How is your science work in the Observatory proceeding? I wonder if you are also going to visit the old home in Kuopio during the Easter.

Dear Veikko,
I m sorry, but I cannot bring the pictures yet to URSA office regarding the photoCD project. The timetable is too bad, I must leave for the North, but Ill come back next week and collect the pictures for Wednesday. Thank you of your efforts on that project.

Regards, Marko.