From: Makela Veikko (PVTMAKELA_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 03/29/1995

     Marko Riikonen, who is, I guess, the only one of us, who
     have seen Mt Pinatubo in nature, showed the slide taken
     near the volcano.  In the picture there are visible coloured
     clouds, which look like ordinary irisdescent clouds, but
     we have though, that these clouds should be related the
     minor eruptions near the mountain.

     What are these clouds?  My guess is that there should be
     some droplets in the air but at higher altitude than ordinary
     clouds.  Is it possible, that sulfur acid aerosols could
     generate the diffraction, which is needed the form
     iridescence.  In winter 1991-92 we saw several mother-of-
     pearl cloud displays, which have similarities with Marko's
     observation.

     Well, perhaps Marko could told more about his photos?

                                                 -Veikko-