From: Timo Nousiainen (tpnousia_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 03/27/1995

> (3,4) The existence of coronas varies year by year. Some years
> we don't any coronas by some tree and sometimes the coronas
> are very bright and the appearance period last several weeks.
> This is, of cource, more biology than atmospheric optics.

I think it would be good idea to check out the weather conditions when one observes pollen coronas. It may be possible that good displays are connected to specific meteorologic conditions as well as other factors. So, observers in coastal regions should check (from the weather report, for example) if there is sea breeze or any such phenomena that could cause strong upward motions or strong vertical mixing. In the inlands the strong convection due to insolation could be important. There may also be other mechanisms transporting pollen particles upwards.

This is just a hunch, but it should not be too hard finding out if there are any specific meteorological conditions connected. Thus, some notes about weather conditions during pollen corona displays shouldn't be waste of time or energy.

  • Timo Nousiainen