From: Veikko Makela (Veikko.Makela_at_hidden_email_address.net)
Date: 03/25/1995

POLLEN CORONAS IN FOCUS 3/3 (3,4) The existence of coronas varies year by year. Some years we don't any coronas by some tree and sometimes the coronas are very bright and the appearance period last several weeks. This is, of cource, more biology than atmospheric optics.

At the moment we have already some kind of idea, in which order the "corona producing" tree are flowering, when and what is the time between these periods. But also this varies yearly. The order is approximately the same, but the time can vary in a period of a month. That is depending on, how early spring we have.

The subarctic latitude such as Finland, we have not very many trees to produce suitable pollen concentrations, but I guess in lower laitudes eg. in the Central Europe, there are much diffrents trees, which can be potential pollen producers. The appearance period start earlier. Eg. One of our observer, Jukka Ruoskanen have reported elliptical corona in the clear sky in middle June in Munich, Germany.

I would be interested to know, is there any plans to observe this phenomenon eg. in Germany. We have already detected some pollen coronas as early as beginning of March. We though to origin of these could be alder pollen. For conifer pollen coronas Scandinavia and Canada and also mountain regions could be optional areas.

If you have any comments, questions, answers to question etc. please, give your ideas to METEOPTIC list.

                                             regards,

                                             Veikko Makela